As we get closer and closer to Yule, I have found my thoughts drifting to those who are serving in the Military. Programs for sponsering a Servicemember abound…but there are few that are specifically geared towards those of the Pagan Persuasion.
I did come accross a few while looking for information to post to the Political Pagans Board at Sacred Mists that are certainly worth a mention here as well.
The first is Operation Circle Care, a program through Circle Sanctuary that sends care packages containing Pagan books/magazines/CDs/etc to active duty Pagan & Wiccan Soldiers who are stationed in war zones.
The beauty of this program? It is not restricted to the Yule Season, it is carried out year round.
(For more information, click the Operation Circle Care Link above.)
Another option is brought to you by the folks at PagansUnited.org
Pagans United Member, SPC Keith Roberts, has volunteered to distribute care packages to Pagan soldiers stationed in Iraq.
Care Packages can be sent to the following address for distribution:
SPC Keith Roberts
HHOC STB G2 OPS
APO AE 09342
So, what should you send??? Below are some suggestions for items needed for both Spiritual and Everyday use.
- Alter Cloths
- Pagan/Wiccan Books
- Pagan CDs
- Candles (tea lights & small spell candles)
- Crystals (ones with properties for protection & healing would be appropriate)
- Witch’s Calendars/Datebooks
- Protective Herbs
- Small God/Goddess figures
- AT&T Phone Cards
- Foot Powder
- Newly Released DVDs & CDs
- Razers & Shaving Cream
- Baby Wipes (they use them when without water)
- Coffee, Tea, Hot Cocoa
- AA Batteries
- Snacks (Cookies, not-so-melty candy, granola bars, chips, nuts, etc.)
- Blank Note Cards, Stationary, Pens
- Avon Skin So Soft
- Chewing Gum
- Powdered Sports Drinks (like Gatorade)
Do NOT Send:
- Obscene articles (prints, paintings, cards, films, videotapes, etc).
- Firearms (apparently some have tried *slaps forehead*)
- Any matter depicting nude or seminude persons, pornographic or sexual items, or non authorized political materials.
- Bulk quantities of religious materials contrary to the Islamic faith. (Items listed above, for the personal use, are permissible.)
- Pork or pork by-products.
- Liquor of any kind
I also stumbled upon is Operation Yule Log for Our Pagan Troops. This program, organized by Rev. Kay J. Ahl & Peter Barrington, is looking for people to hand craft small Yule Logs to be used by active duty Pagans in Iraq. Instuctions for how to craft a Yule log and where to send it can be found in the Press Release (click link above to read full details).
I realize it may be getting cutting it pretty close, but even if you cannot do it this year, it’s a marvelous idea to keep in mind for future Yuletide Giving.
If you do not have the time or money to put together a care package, please consider sending cards and letters to Brighten the Spirits of our Pagan Brethren who are putting their lives on the line to Serve & Protect our freedoms, as well as those of the citizens of the countries in which they are stationed.
For a list of Wiccans & Pagans serving in the Military check out this Witchvox page: Witches, Pagans & Heathans in the Military.
Whether you choose to send a package, or write letters, it’s good to know when you should send them by. The US Postal Service has released a chart with recommended ship by dates for this year, as well as other useful information. Find this info here: Sending Military Mail in Time for the Holidays.
Wishing you and all those who Serve a very Blessed Yule.